I have never been fond of tent footprints. I hardly ever use them and I definitely don’t pay $30 for them. However, if you must have a footprint, but don’t want to dip into your children’s college fund to buy one, there is a way to make one for cheap. All you need is a few items, sewing machine or needle and thread.
Items you will need
Tarp big enough to fit under your tent.
Access to a sewing machine or needle and thread.
1. Set up your tent.
2. Put the tarp under your tent and let it sit for a while to get rid of the wrinkles
3. Mark each spot where the tent pole ends touch the tarp.
4. Trace a line about 1 to 2 inches on the tarp on the outside of the tent
5. Cut the tarp on the line. Make sure to leave about two extra inches around the marks you made where the tent poles touched.
6. Fold the tarp over and set grommits on the marks where the tent poles touched.
7. Fold the rest of the tarp about an inch or two inches (depending on how far out the line was) and sew a hemn.
8. Voila! Instant footprint for a third of the price.